Super Bowl LVI is going to be here before you know it! Whether you’re a diehard football fan or just watching for the halftime show, there’s one thing everyone can agree on: having lip-smacking-good food is a must. The Splash Café team is here to help make sure your spread for The Big Game scores big on flavor and ease.
Our starting lineup includes two easy and delicious recipes featuring Splash Café’s Smoky Chimi and Smoky Citrus spices rubs. Both are available online in a 6 pack along with our Smoky Espresso spice blend.
Smoky Chimi combines sweet basil with savory parsley, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic and citrus to make chicken, steaks, pork, and veggies really stand out. Like its name suggests, Smoky Citrus is citrus-forward with bright lemon, rich smoked paprika, dill and garlic. It’s perfect for seafood, chicken, lamb, and veggies.
5 to 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (Pro tip: try roasting it skin-on with the fresh tomatoes and lemon to make it extra juicy and delicious.)
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
8 to 10 cloves garlic
2 slices bacon (optional)
1.Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place chicken thighs on a sheet pan and season generously with Smoky Chimi spice rub.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, rolling the chicken around so the thighs are covered with seasoned oil. Make sure to leave the thighs skin side up on the pan sheet.
4. Slice one lemon (including peel) into thin slices and place it between the chicken thighs on the sheet pan.
5. Cut all tomatoes in half and sprinkle them around the thighs (not on the thighs). It’s OK if they land on top of the lemons.
6. Peel and smash the garlic and sprinkle it around the thighs as well.
7. Cut the second lemon in half and squeeze juice over everything
8. Sprinkle more Smoky Chimi spice rub and drizzle more olive oil over everything on the sheet pan.
9. If using bacon, dice and sprinkle over tomato mixture.
10. Place the sheet pan on the center rack of your preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, stir the tomato mixture without disturbing the chicken.
Poblano chilis (1 to 2 per person)
16 to 20 Extra large shrimp (1 to 2 per chili, depending on size)
Queso fresco cheese (jack or cheddar works as well)
Corn tortillas, (1 for every 2 to 4 chilis)
Aluminum foil cut into 6” to 8” strips, depending on size of chilis
Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
1.Heat your barbecue grill to high.
2. Defrost the shrimp, then remove any shells.
3. Season shrimp with Smoky Citrus seasoning.
4. Roast chilis over the grill or under a broiler until charred. Allow them to rest and then peel off charred skin.
5. Slit the chilis open carefully and rinse out seeds and membrane
6. Cut tortillas into quarters.
7. Place a piece of aluminum foil on a clean work surface and lay a chili on top of the foil.
8. Carefully place 1 to 2 pieces of tortilla inside the chili cavity.
9. Then place 1 to 2 shrimp on top of the tortilla.
10. Spoon salsa into the chili cavity and top with a generous amount of cheese. If you’re using queso fresco, break up but still use plenty. If using jack or cheddar cheese, cut a thin rectangle of cheese.
11. Bring the sides of the chili together so all the ingredients are inside. Then bring the edges of the foil together, forming a tent around the chili, and seal completely. This should be loose fitting but still sealed. Repeat for each chili.
12. Place the foil packets on the grill and roast until shrimp is cooked and cheese melted, about 10 minutes.
13. Carefully open the foil packets and place on plates or a platter. Serve with sour cream and Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce
Not a fan of seafood? It’s all good! You can still ’cue it up with our Smoky Espresso Pork Shoulder recipe, ideal for tacos or nachos. All of these smoky, savory dishes go great with all kinds of sides, from tots or chips to a simple green salad. They also pair well with your favorite beers, a Super Bowl staple for all football fans. Splash Café sells local favorites like Firestone 805. Whichever you choose, make sure to have lots of Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce on hand for an extra tasty kick.
Don’t want to cook? No sweat! Order a mouthwatering family platter of Splash Café’s award-winning Clam Chowder and your choice of freshly baked cinnamon bread pudding or decadent brownie swirl. Another option is our Cozy GIANT Bread Bowl + Clam Chowder Gift Pack, the perfect belated holiday present for the whole family! The shining star of both is our famous Clam Chowder, made with only pure California Cream and three types of clams, as well as fresh celery, potatoes, and other veggies.
Get your game on with Splash Café this Super Bowl! Order online from either of our two Central Coast locations or have your Clam Chowder shipped nationwide with Goldbelly®.
Dear SLO Family and Friends, Almost 40 years ago, I moved to this incredible community from Colorado. Initially I worked as a manager at F. McLintocks Saloon downtown (many of you know me from back then).Read more
Splash Café—a longtime foodie favorite on the Central Coast—is excited to announce you can now get more award-winning clam chowder, seafood, and treats delivered to your door!Read more
Students and parents are gearing up for the new school year, which means it’s the perfect time to explore the beautiful Central Coast! San Luis Obispo County, home to the landmark destination Splash Café, offers a multitude of must-visit places for students and their families.Read more
With summertime in full swing, now is the time to soak up the sunshine and beautiful coastal views by having a super tasty and relaxing beach picnic. When it comes to picnic food, Splash Café has got you covered!Read more
They’re flaky, they’re buttery, they’re melt-in-your-mouth perfection. Splash Café croissants hit the spot whether you’re ordering one solo to dip in your coffee or going for the whole shebang with a croissant egg sandwich!Read more
Pride Month is almost here! Let your true colors shine at an LGBTQIA+-friendly weekend getaway on the beautiful Central Coast! Whether you’re looking for a fun-filled weekend with friends orRead more
Mothers are the glue that hold our families together. They work day and night to take care of all of us, whether it’s cooking dinner, helping with homework, or kissing booboos. Create the Perfect Mother’s Day with Splash Café for them!Read more
Family time, festivities, and… So. Much. CANDY! What’s not to love about Easter? It’s a time to start fresh and enjoy all things Spring, including sunshine, blooming flowers, and a sweet treat or two.Read more
In honor of National Clam Chowder, Day, we’re donating 10% of our in-store proceeds from Feb. 25 and 26 to The Martha Olson-Fernandez Foundation (MOFF) to help fight ALS. So stop in at our Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo locations to eat some super tasty food and get fully loaded for a good cause!Read more